Patagonia: Bariloche to UshuaiaHard
A trip down Patagonia from Bariloche to Ushuaia. Cycling through the most spectacular landscapes of Patagonia in Argentina and Chile. A great challenge and wonderful cycling traverse.
Patagonia cycling tour covers the diverse nature scenarios of one of the most enchanting untamed regions in the world. With you mountain bike the connection with nature is straight forward and the feeling is unique!
Photos of the last travel in Patagonia: Bariloche to Ushuaia
Contact us for the travel day plan
Bariloche, Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi and Los Alerces. El Bolson, Futalaufquen lake, Trevelin.
Chile: Futaleufu, Lago Yelcho. Carretera Austral in Chile: P.N. Corcovado, Reserva Nacional Lago Rosselot, PN. Queluat, La Junta, Pacific ocean, Pto Puyuhuapi, "Ventisquero Colgante" (hanging glacier), "Portezuleo Queluat", Villa Amengual, Lago Torre, Rio Simpson, Coyhaique.
Argentina: Patagonian desert (Route 40) with its incredible steppe. Perito Moreno, estancia Casa de Piedra, Cueva de las Manos, Bajo Caracoles, Cardiel lake, El Chaltén, Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre, Laguna del Desierto. Lago Viedma, La Leona river, Lago Argentino. El Calafate and Los Glaciares national park (Glaciar Perito Moreno). Pto Natales (Chile). Rio Verde. Punta Arenas. Magallanes strait. Tierra del Fuego: Río Grande, Yehuin, Cheepelmuth. Tolhuin and Fagnano lakes. Garibaldi pass and Ushuaia (Bahía La Pataia-Canal de Beagle).
2.700 km. (735 km gravel road), 650 km on support vehicle.
Approx.. 2050 km of the total 2700 km are on bicycle. Some parts will be done with our support vehicle. The distance has been divided into 21 days of cycling, with 6 days for walks and rest. The daily cycling rate is approx.. 6 hs at an average of 17 km/h. Most of the time we have side wind (it blows from the West), on the section from El Calafate to Ushuaia we have the wind from behind helping us while cycling.
Level difference: the cycling traverse goes on slope terrain. During the whole cycling trip we have 15.750mts of ascents with a daily average of +750mts. The highest point of the whole cycling trip in Patagonia is of 1500 masl.
The usual temperature in Patagonia in summer season is between 5 ºC and 25ºC (we recommend a sleeping bag “with comfort bellow 0ºC”). It is dry weather on the Argentine side but usually rains on the Andes area, especially on the Chilean side on Carretera Austral and often in Tolhuin and Ushuaia.
Mountain bike or hybrid, with gravel and paved road tires (semi-slick) and prior mechanical check up
Basic repair kit: two inner tubes, allen keys and a small inflator
Water bottle or water backpack (Camel).
Sleeping bag (we recommend a sleeping bag “with comfort bellow 0ºC”).and sleeping pad
Head lamp or flash light with spare batteries
Personal medication ,
Sunblock lotion and lipbalm ,
No need for saddlebags unless you want to carry your own photo camera. You need only a small bag (bicycle front bag) or small backpack to carry a spare clothing or windbraker, an energy booting candy bar and your camera.
Every 2 or 3 hours we make a stopover where we serve beverages (water, tea, coffee and juices) and energy boosting snacks. At noon we make a longer stopover for lunch. For dinners we usually go to restaurants, when this is not a possible option our support team cooks the meals. The support vehicle is always at hand for whatever you might need during the cycling.
this is an exclusive cycling trip with a minimum of 5 people. Registration should be confirmed three months in advance otherwise a 15% will be added to the price.
- Permanent 2 expert cycling mountain bike guides assistance
- Support vehicle with trailer with enough space to transport the whole group
- transfer -boat transfer on general Carreras lake ferry boat to cross the Magallanes strai
- All meals (4 daily plus snacks and beverages)
- lodging at hotels, hostels, cabins and inns (21 nights), 7 days lodging at campsites in tents (6 of this nights there will be an option for an extra cost to sleep in dorms instead of tents at an extra cost with previous reservation)
- mechanical assistance and spare mountain bike
- Entrance fee to national parks, meals and beverages at days off or leisure days
- TENTS, (those dinners mentioned as on your own), optional excursions and tours
- Bike pants short & long (2)
- Running pants, Windbreaker
- synthetic long sleeve shirt (2)
- T-shirts (2)
- Polar fleece jacket - warm jacket
- Socks synthetic & wool
- Sandals or spare tennis shoes.Rain gear: water resistant jacket
- Pants and shoe cover (if it is of Gore-tex even better)
- Sport wear for leisure days (jeans, sport shirt and sandals or tennis shoes)