Southern Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego (Calafate-Ushuaia)Medium
From Glacier Perito Moreno to the southernmost part of the American continent we cross the Magallanes straight and enter the fantastic land of Tierra del Fuego where the famous explorer Darwin marveled at the nature that surrounds what is nowadays the city of Ushuaia. Known as the “city at the end of the world”.
Photos of the last travel in Southern Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego (Calafate-Ushuaia)
Contact us for the travel day plan
El Calafate and the "Los Glaciares"National Park (Glacier Perito Moreno), Torres del Paine and Puerto Natales (Chile). We cycle along the Magallanes strait and cross at "Primera Angostura". Tierra del Fuego: Rio Grande and Tolhuin. Lake Fagnano and Escondido. Ushuaia, Glacier Lemartine, La Pataia Bay.
780 km (230 km gravel road and 650 km de paved road). 250 km riding on a van .
The 780 km are divided into 8 days of cycling, with 1 day to rest. (The day tours in Ushuaia are not taken into account).Our normal mountain biking rate is about 100 km per day at 18 km/h with short breaks and a long break for lunch . We ride for approximately 5hrs. Most of the tour is on paved road. Most of the cycling section is with wind from behind which helps while riding. The highest point above sea level is 900 m. The level difference or drop is about 600 meters every 100 km. (Total level difference: +4750m)
There is between 5 ºC and 25ºC ( we recommend using a sleeping bag with comfort temperature level below 0ºC”). the weather is usually dry although you may expect rain at the Tolhuin and Ushuaia area.
Mountain bike or hybrid, with gravel and paved road tires and prior mechanical check up
Basic repair kit: two inner tubes, allen keys and a small inflator
Water bottle or water backpack (Camel).
Sleeping bag and Thermarest
Head lamp or flash light with spare batteries
Personal medication ,
Sunblock lotion and lipbalm ,
No need for saddlebags unless you want to carry your own photo camera. You need only a small bag (bicycle front bag) or small backpack to carry a spare clothing or windbraker, an energy booting candy bar and your camera.
every 2 to 3 hours we stop for a snack where you have beverages (water, coffee, tea and juices) and energy bars and snacks. At noon we make a longer stop for lunch. Dinner, where it is possible, will be served in a restaurant or cook by our team. The support vehicle will be by the cycling group available any time when needed.
minimum 5 people, maximum 8 people. Registration should be confirmed three month in advance otherwise an additional charge to the price may apply.
- Assistance provided by 2 experienced cycling guides
- Support vehicle with trailer with enough seats for the whole cycling group
- Mechanical service and spare bike
- All meals and beverages (4 meals days plus snacks), except the days off and dinners mentioned as free
- Boat trip crossing the Magallanes strait
- lodging at hotels, cabins and inns (9 nights), 3 days lodging at campsites in tents (2 of this nights there will be an option for an extra cost to sleep in dorms instead of tents at an extra cost with previous reservation)
- entrance fee to national parks
- meals and beverages at days off or leisure days. (those dinners mentioned as on your own)
- optional excursions and tours
- Bike pants short & long (2)
- Running pants
- synthetic long sleeve shirt (2)
- T-shirts (2)
- Polar fleece jacket - warm jacket
- Socks synthetic & wool
- Sandals or spare tennis shoes
- Rain gear: water resistant jacket, pants and shoe cover (if it is of Gore-tex even better)
- Sport wear for leisure days (jeans, sport shirt and sandals or tennis shoes)